Job Posting: Community Cooks Coordinator
Contract Position: May 1, 2017 to August 31, 2017
Wage: $23/hour (30 – 37.5 hours per week)
Reports to: Executive Director
The Community Cooks Coordinator will be responsible for planning and implementing community kitchen programs that utilize end-of-life and imperfect food to prepare ready to eat healthy meals for community organizations in York Region. This is a job readiness program where participants have an opportunity to develop social networks while gaining commercial kitchen skills. This position involves developing partnerships with local farmers, processors and distributors for food procurement.
• Coordinate and facilitate weekly Community Cooks sessions.
• Create a safe and welcoming program environment.
• Liaise with community partners for food distribution.
• Maintain and develop relationships with farmers, processors and distributors for food procurement.
• Ongoing enrollment of participants and volunteers for food procurement and processing.
• Organize training programs for participants such as Safe Food Handling and Smart Serve.
• Collect metrics on program inputs and outputs.
• Other duties as assigned. Some work can be physical.
• Relevant diploma or degree or equivalent experience – culinary, social work, adult education, community development.
• Strong group dynamic skills.
• Food preparation skills and knowledge of commercial kitchens.
• Ability to create and adapt recipes as needed based on food available
• Knowledge and sensitivity to food insecurity issues affecting individuals and families.
• Knowledge of community services in York Region.
• Experience in community development and collaboration.
• Understand the dynamics of working with volunteers.
• Strong communication, organization and problem solving skills.
• Ability to work independently and in a team.
• Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle.
• Computer literacy – Microsoft Office, e-mail, and Internet.
Application Deadline: April 11, 2017
Submit Resume to:
Hiring Committee, York Region Food Network
York Region Food Network is committed to employment equity and encourages applicants from equity seeking groups. We would like to thank all applicants; only those invited to interviews will be contacted.