YRFN’s Response to COVID-19
At York Region Food Network, health is top of mind in everything that we do.
In response to COVID-19, YRFN will be focusing on our food access programs and shifting our resources away from community programming over the next few weeks.
Here’s what you can expect at YRFN: As of Tuesday, March 17 from 9:30am – 10:30am, our drop-in breakfast will no longer serve seated meals. Breakfast will be available for takeaway. York Region Food Networks knows that this is a hard time for many. If you need information about immediate food assistance, please reach out to us at 905-841-3101 or email@example.com.
All other YRFN workshops, events and classes are postponed until further notice. This includes Community Cooks, our Kimchi Workshop, Brunch and Learn and our film screening.
Though we won’t be seeing you in person over the next few weeks, follow us on social media. YRFN staff will be sharing with you all our favourite recipes and seed starting tips for you to try at home.
Wishing everyone a healthy few weeks.
York Region Emergency Food Resources During COVID-19
50 For 50 Cycle Challenge
Amdur Bicycles, a local company in Vaughan, Ontario is kick-starting a new fundraising campaign to support York Region Food Network’s (YRFN) expansion of food access services during COVID-19.
Together we are changing gears, taking care of the planet and the people who are along for the ride!
We challenge you to:
1. Commit to ride 50km between June 28, 2020 – July 4, 2020
2. Donate $50 to fight for food security and environmental sustainability in your community
3. Jump on your bike during the week of June 28, 2020, whether you put the pedal to the metal and ride 50km in one day or over the course of the week – just go for it
4. Share a photo on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #50for50CycleChallenge to let your friends know you’ve participated in the challenge
5. Challenge all in your network to also make a positive impact on food security and environmental sustainability in York Region.
This fundraising campaign is a great way to support cycling and the fundamental right to food while also allowing you to be active in a physically distant way.
To register and for more information contact: https://www.amdurbicycles.com/events
Gift a Box!
So many of you have asked to gift Good Food Boxes to others in the community… so, we’ve set up an initiative to allow just that!
‘Gift a Box’ gives you the opportunity to purchase Good Food Boxes for members of the community facing heightened food insecurity. Far too many households in York Region are struggling with inadequate food access. ‘Gift a Box’ helps to get healthy, fresh produce onto tables across York Region.
To gift a Good Food Box go to: http://ow.ly/TVA650zZWHj
July’s Good Food Box order and pickup dates
As the first Wednesday in July is the National Canada Day holiday, Good Food Box order and pickup dates are being adjusted.
- Order by July 1st, 2020 for pickup on July 8th
- Order by July 15th, 2020 for pickup on July 22nd