Garden to Table Coordinator
York Region Food Network is a regional hub that offers programs and education to ensure that the people of York Region have dignified access to healthy food produced within a sustainable food system. Our vision is Food for Health – Food for All.
The Garden to Table Coordinator position is an exciting opportunity to plan and implement healthy food programs. This role will be comprised of a variety of responsibilities from organizing participants and programs at community gardens to leading cooking programs in the community. The ideal candidate will combine strong communication and community development skills with a passion for food and social justice.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- Manage the activities in our community gardens in Aurora, Newmarket, Richmond Hill and Vaughan
- Coordinate and facilitate garden committees to foster engagement of gardeners and the broader community
- Create a safe and welcoming program environment and ensure health and safety of participants
- Maintain program records including registration, in-kind support, and volunteers
- Cultivate communication, leadership and food skills among program participants and volunteers
- Maintain and develop relationships with farmers, processors and distributors for food procurement.
- Facilitate groups, in the garden and in the kitchen, building a safe inclusive space for participants
- Complete program evaluations and ensure programs are responding to needs in the community
- Foster and sustain positive working relationships with others, internally and externally, to further the mission of YRFN
- Other duties as assigned. Some work can be physical.
- Relevant diploma or degree or equivalent experience – horticulture, culinary, social work, adult education, community development.
- Experience in gardening and food skills.
- Safe Food Handling and Smart Serve certificates an asset.
- Excellent group facilitation, interpersonal, communication and conflict resolution skills.
- Knowledge and sensitivity to food insecurity issues affecting individuals and families.
- Knowledge of community services in York Region.
- Experience in community development and collaboration.
- Understand the dynamics of working with volunteers.
- Strong communication, organization and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a team.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle.
- Computer literacy – Microsoft Office, e-mail, and Internet.
Contract Position: now until December 31, 2018 – potential for renewal based on funding
Wage: $23.50/hour (28-30 hours/week)
Application Deadline: March 15, 2018
Reports to: Executive Director
Submit Resume to: Hiring Committee, York Region Food Network
York Region Food Network is committed to employment equity and encourages applicants from equity seeking groups. We would like to thank all applicants; only those invited to interviews will be contacted.