York Region Food Network (YRFN) offers programs and education to ensure that the people of York Region have healthy and sustainable food.
We have a summer student position for an Urban Agriculture Program Assistant (Aurora – Oak Ridges – Richmond Hill) available.
This position is funded through Canada Summer Jobs. Applicants must have been a full time student and be returning to school full time in the fall.
Description: The Urban Agriculture Program Assistant will coordinate urban agriculture activities at our community food gardens in Aurora, Oak Ridges and Richmond Hill. This role will involve coordinating gardeners, activities and weekly maintenance at the community gardens.
In this position, the student will communicate with gardeners about updates, events and opportunities; offer weekly maintenance/working days at the garden; organize regular get-togethers and workshops at each of the gardens; seek new partnerships in the community; maintain the demonstration composting and vermi-composting systems at our community food hub; and develop lesson plans for workshops.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Food growing and garden maintenance
- Maintenance and development of vermicomposting systems.
- Plan gardening opportunities with volunteers – scheduling maintenance, food shares, composting, and events to celebrate healthy food.
- Assist in the monitoring and evaluation of YRFN’s urban agriculture program.
- Develop and facilitate workshops for gardeners and the broader public on food skills.
- Support the gleaning program: contacting farmers and participants, assisting on trips.
- Assist with administrative tasks.
This position would be of interest to students with an interest in agriculture, environmental sustainability and food systems. Suitable programs of study could include nutrition, environmental science, agriculture, and community development.
Access to transportation is an asset to move between our office and garden locations.
32 hrs week – $15.00/hour
We are reviewing applications upon receipt. Final application deadline: May 25, 2018
Submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.