Job Posting: Garden Animator
York Region Food Network (YRFN) is a regional hub that offers programs and education to ensure that the people of York Region have dignified access to healthy food produced within a sustainable food system. Our vision is Food for Health – Food for All.
The Garden Animator position is an exciting opportunity to build and execute food growing programs in York Region. The ideal candidate will have in-depth knowledge of horticulture/agriculture and have a passion for creating inspiring community spaces.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- Manage the activities in our community gardens throughout York Region.
- Develop YRFN’s Urban Agriculture Strategic Plan.
- Develop and facilitate the garden education program.
- Coordinate and facilitate garden social activities (e.g. pot lucks, working bees).
- Create a safe and welcoming environment and ensure health and safety of participants.
- Maintain program records including registration, feedback/testimonials, in-kind support, and volunteers.
- Seek opportunities to leverage community resources and funds for garden programs.
- Complete program evaluations and ensure programs are responding to needs in the community.
- Foster and sustain positive working relationships with others, internally and externally, to further the mission of YRFN.
- Recruit and coordinate garden volunteers. Supervise summer students.
- Other duties as assigned. Some work can be physical.
- Relevant diploma or degree or equivalent experience – horticulture, agriculture, adult education, community development.
- Strong knowledge of food growing.
- Excellent group facilitation, interpersonal, communication, conflict resolution skills and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge and sensitivity to food insecurity issues affecting individuals and families.
- Knowledge of community services in York Region.
- Experience in community development and collaboration.
- Understand the dynamics of working with volunteers.
- Ability to work independently and in a team.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle.
- Computer literacy – Microsoft Office, e-mail, and Internet.
Contract Position: one year contact – potential for renewal
Wage: $24.00/hour (30 hours/week)
Application Deadline: January 14, 2019
Reports to: Executive Director
Submit Resume to: Hiring Committee, York Region Food Network
Subject Line: Garden Animator
York Region Food Network is committed to employment equity and encourages applicants from equity seeking groups. We would like to thank all applicants; only those invited to interviews will be contacted.